Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Man in the Iron Mask

Recommendation
Watch The Man in the Iron Mask!

Review:
The acting was nothing special to begin with, as it was slightly slow moving,
but as the characters began to take shape and the story was in full force,
lead Leonardo DiCaprio did not disappoint. The three musketeers were fabulous.

The character of King Louis actually made me yell out "GAG!" Probably why I should only watch movies at home. This also showed me how great of acting Leo did to make me hate him. 
As the twin Philip I was so delighted at his humbleness and sweet ignorance that was so believable I began to want to fight to make him king as well. 

When someone has two roles in one film I get really picky with how they differ. I cheered at Leo's depiction of a stuck up "ordained of God" selfish king, as well as a childlike kind man who wanted to serve his country with no claim of his right to do so.  

The first time you see Philip without the mask and cleaned up he asks one question. 
Why was this done to me?
With out an answer he thanked one of the men that freed him. 

The reunion of Philip and Queen mother was a moment that should not be missed. 

Philip compared the crown and being king as another prison. 
He knew with lying and deceit it really was. 
He asked the three musketeers: Why should I? (pretend to be king)
Answer from Athos: "To be in the service of something greater."

Historical accuracy: (for movies based on true stories.)
They threw in twist after twist in this fictional story. What I love about it is that there really was a Man in the Iron Mask but his identity is still a mystery today. 

Moral
Learning who we are can help us live up to our family's name or at the very least our own. 
Learning who our ancestors were or our parents character can help us discover why we are who we are. 
I love that I used family names for my son, he can live up to be the kind of man they were or he can make a name for himself. 

Symbols
Symbolism was not missed in the premonition of the mask when King Louis puts it over his face!
The thrown when Philip dressed as King Louis sits on the thrown taking his place. 
The roses from the Queen Mother's love.
Swords in a circle "All for one, one for all."

Favorite quotes:
"I fight for the belief that every man can be better."
"Something about my face had to be hidden."
"The greatest mystery of all is who we truly are."
"You have the chance to be king. If you have the heart."
"To serve a king worthy of the crown."
"Love me like your son."

New feature I wanted to start: is the hubby-love-meter, 
if my husband loves a movie or finds it interesting he will stay awake. 
If not well, I have to turn the volume up to cover his snores. 

Hubby-love-meter:
This movie got a Complete!
(He stayed awake the whole time.)

(I do not own the rights to these photos.)
Yes, I know I did two Leonardo DiCaprio movies in a row. 
What about it?

2 comments:

  1. I loved this movie as well. I always wondered how he wan't covered in acne after all those years without washing his face haha

    ReplyDelete