Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Mansfield Park

I have read four other Jane Austen books and I was looking forward to this one. 
I mean, I'm a typical girl that has watched a ton of period movies. Mainly from the 1800's.

One thing that has always attracted me to Mansfield Park is that it was about a girl not born in good society. She had family connections, but no honor from her own name.

Steadiness of character is the attribute of Fanny that creates the novel. Jane Austen set up her novel around one stationary girl that has family heartbreak happen around her, but her never altering opinion and morals bring her happiness. 

I believe there are still people like Austen's characters which is why they are so timeless. There will always be people who do what they feel is right and never give in to what others say like Fanny Price. Or people who will let vanity and conceit dictate they're choices like Henry Crawford. Or even some who will let money, vanity and connections cloud their judgement when they should marry for love, like Mary Crawford (my least favorite character.)

There were other surprises in the story compared to my predictions and the movie's I've seen. Thankfully, because books are always better. 

This is my favorite Austen novel. I recommend reading this one, of course Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, Sense and Sensibility, and Emma are wonderful as well. 

I'm not really sure how to rate books but here's what I think:
1 wasted my time
2 don't make me read it again
3 barely finished
4 wouldn't recommend it 
5 an ok read
6 will maybe mention it 
7 will talk about it
8 will recommend it
9 talk, text, tweet,
10 reread 

I give Mansfield Park a 10! 
Get out there and read. 
Onto book 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment