Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Easy A

Rated PG-13 and the only real reason was some language. I actually found it to be humorous and witty. It made me think and the vocabulary for a teenage movie was surprising. I wish more movies would actually require thought and the use of a dictionary, but this movie restored some faith in writers.

Moral
The plot was actually morally thought provoking as well. The question she asks the priest. Is it worse to lie about doing something wrong for a good cause? Or for doing that wrong thing? I believe her initial lie was justified. I believe that's the lesser sin. It did get out of hand when she became "open for business" like she said in the movie. I also hope it made girls think about how much sex really can effect your life. Even when you lie about having it.

Religious
Christian people being portrayed as that judgmental, critical and the runners of the school was way exaggerated. I went to a school with a higher than average Christian rate and we were not the rulers of the school. Also, I have met many Christians of all separate sects and they are some of the least judgmental. I wish the extremist weren't in the film but it made the lead realize her error and that was great.

Can you tell I loved Easy A? I did. I own it. It mentioned some 80's movies I hadn't seen yet and I watch a lot of those so it was fun to learn of new ones. Say Anything wasn't anything special except for the scene mentioned in Easy A. But what I love is Easy A reminded me of John Hughes films. It had a classic question and will probably stand the test of time for it's unique characters. Add to the mix parents that were real with their kids and didn't lie to their daughter about their own mistakes and you have a movie with substance. More parents should be honest about sex and the repercussions that follow it. To say there is no consequence is ludicrous. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment